The 2021 Washington State Legislature directed WSIPP to conduct a study on the comparison of regulations and benefit-cost analysis of a potential requirement to use American steel for future contracts and subcontracts authorized in the Washington State transportation and capital budgets. The study must, to the extent feasible, including the following:
- Compare existing types and uses of steel to made in America steel alternatives including evaluation of quality;
- Examine benefits to Washington workers and the Washington economy;
- Examine lifecycle and embodied carbon greenhouse gas emissions;
- Identify requirements for purchasing American steel that minimize costs and maximize benefits; and
- Evaluate American steel requirements or preferences in other states.
A final report was originally due to the legislature by December 1, 2021. In June 2021, the WSIPP Board of Directors voted to shift the deadline to December 1, 2022.