The 2023 Washington State Legislature directed WSIPP to study hospital staffing standards for direct-care registered nurses and direct-care nursing assistants. As part of the study, WSIPP must review current and historical staffing plans filed with the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) and describe the following:
- Timeliness and completeness of filed forms;
- Format of filed forms;
- Patient care unit nursing staff assignments related to the maximum number of patients to which a direct care nursing or nursing assistant may be assigned;
- Descriptive statistics on submissions by hospital unit type;
- Trends over time, if any;
- Legal minimum staffing standards for registered nurses and nursing assistants in other jurisdictions; and
- Relevant professional association guidance, recommendations, or best practices.
The report is due to DOH and the legislature by June 30, 2024.